11 Nov 2011

Updates, FGH, undernightsky and some waffle...

Well thats it. 'From Great Height' is no more. I am sure that anyone who has found their way here has more than likely already read the official statement i posted online over at the 'FGH Blog'. So i won't bang on about it much more. But i felt i should probably just say a few things on my personal blog.

I felt it was the right time for us to draw a line under things. We had been working towards a common goal for close to 5 years and whilst we had achieved many great things, things i don't take for granted. Things that however small, it's important to realise that a lot of start up bands never get their music beyond their local venue and 10 of their mates. That we got to play our music to new people and be played on respected rock radio stations, appear in mainstream rock press, among other things is something i am immensly proud of.

However, creatively i felt like i had hit a wall and i was no longer writing for myself but writing for the band. I felt like for the most part i was writing what other people wanted to hear rather than what i wanted to hear. The irony of course is that i believe we were still writing great music. It's just not something i think i could have carried on with and convincingly give my all to. And i have never been about trying to cheat people. Underground/unsigned bands clearly don't do this for money or fame. So once you strip that away, all you really have left is integrity and i wasn't willing to compromise that.

But this is not the end of my musical journey oh no...! Five Points Of Articulation is full steam ahead. Me and Adam have all but finished the writing phase. Four brand new songs coming your way very soon. We are currently in the demo phase, just correlating ideas and trying to develop a sound that we are happy with. We are very close though. You can hear our first completed demo track here by the way. It gives you a good taste of what we are about. I have always been a big fan of artist such as Trent Reznor, Jesu, TV On The Radio and the film soundtracks of people like Nick Cave, Clint Mansell. Hopefully a little of that filters through in the new stuff, mixed with our own style and ideas.

Further to this i will be jumping back on the undernightsky horse. I have some unfinished demo's i really should get on with. I believe music can be both "pop" and "art" and not always at the same time. UNS was always art to me. The music is very personal to me and comes from some very deep emotions. For that reason it really is a labour of love but perhaps not something i was as willing to share as i thought i was. I listen to the stuff a lot on my headphones but have been reluctant to put it out. More so than i thought i would be. But i think the feelings that lead to them songs being written have faded a bit now and perhaps now is the right time to put them out there.

aaaaaaaaaand finally i have the bubblings of a new project. It consits of a few unreleased demo's i made that i originally intended to be 'From Great Height' tracks. We never got to rehearse them as a band though and usually before that happens the songs tend to be quite Michael-centric. For better of for worse, who knows? But i was really keen on these particular tracks and felt they would have pushed us in a new direction. These tracks are written. They just need to be re-recorded (You would be shocked if you heard the chop-shop loop based demos). I am just trying to work out what to do with vocals. I might even give it a stab myself. Never tried singing on my own tracks before. Could be interesting. Could be terrible. I won't know until i try i suppose.

I shall leave you with with a video of a track that i have been caining on my iPod recently. Great production, great song, great video. She is a legend in her own time if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment